Saturday, April 15, 2006

Clifford Brown is my hero

In a day and time when there are few, and far between, people that we can call heroic or heros, Clifford Brown still stands as a individual among giants. He was and still is a Titan among men and a genius among artist. His melodic thinking will forever remain a benchmark in jazz history. Even though Clifford was killed in a car accident at such a young age he will go down in history as a consumate musician and person.

The first trumpet player that I fell in love with was Clifford Brown, Pops was the first musician that popped my musical cherry I had just begun taking trumpet lessons the end of my 11th grade year in high school (around '92). I was going through the record collection that my mother had at home and saw a origianl print of the Brownie Eyes LP( which later was lefted in a hot car during summer and melted ...such a mistake). I had to have listened to the record like........ 30 times..........in a row! For a kid raised on hip-hop, soul and funk that was a great feat. I was mesmerized by his technical facility, soulfulness and the way he could dance all round the horn,.....you know what I mean? The man was so thorough, and clean. You almost wanted to hear him mess up a little...LOL. Just to know that he was really human. I imagined how this guy looked, and little did I know that he was this little mousy looking guy with a big heart. He wasn't really a looker, but who cared about that. He was a certified GENIUS.

As I listen, now a days, to the great turmpet players of the day, you can clearly hear the connection between the trumpet lineages. It began with King Oliver, then Pops, Eldrige, Fats, Dizzy, Clifford, Lee, Woody& Freddy, etc... It goes on forever. I like it that way. It is a curious thing this organism called music. It will never die, and like the phoenix at the 9th hour when all hope is lost it will reinvent itself and come from out of the ashes. It is wonderous, at times to me, how that happens over and over again. It was here before us and will reamin here after all of us. It is DEVINE. You hear me DEVINE! It is not from here on earth, and I believe that it has greater purpose than for our private entertainment. Read any religious literature and you will see how devine it really is.

I am a musician and the other day I had a epiphany that could not be ignored for anything at all. I realized that I was doing music for the connection to GOD. I wanted to create a connection with GOD thru something that could never really be tainted by people. It is nuetral like the SWISS. I know, the better I get on my horn, as a musician and writing I will be able to unfold the mysteries of the universe. I see why these cats started to drink and smoke, shoot up and do dope. It is a heavy thing, this organism called music, to live with. When you really start to see things change and the devinity in it all. You start to see God's hand direct you and it kinda overloads your mind and body. It is supernatural! I don't think I'm necessarily supernatural, but I feel it through the music, and I have experienced some of the supernatural. I love it, and I'm kinda scaried at the same time.

One thing I know is that once I begin a journey I don't believe in turning around for anything. I have seldom been disappointed unless I built it up to be too much.Music can never be like that. Music is bigger than us all. I will be seeking it out forever. It is in me and part of me. I love it and will continue to seek out the spirits of Pops, Clifford, Dizzy, Woody, Miles, and Nat. These are some of my heros and I hope that I will be somebodies one day! Peace!

No comments: