Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What does ENDORSEMENT mean these days?

What does ENDORSEMENT mean these days?


This was definitely something I really pondered over the last 2 years. I recently sought out the Getzen Corp. for instrumental support of my musical career and performing concerns. Endorsement usually means; that you or the company would be willing to give testimonial in advertising, support, written or spoken statement endorsing a product, company, or artist. The artist usually receives some level of support by giving their  written or spoken statement endorsing the said product. Well GETZEN,...they obliged by letting me perform on there custom model 3003s Genesis Bb trumpet and 3895gb Flugelhorn, which are by the way by far... THE BEST instruments I've ever had the opportunity to play on. Getzen is a great company,.. they are a phenomenal global powerhouse in the realm of instrument quality (brass instruments), dedication to instrumental construction, and overall the music instrument business. I've been ecstatic to say the least about representing the brand and performing daily on these magnificently crafted musical instruments. BUT,... "What does ENDORSEMENT mean these days?"


Typically an instrument maker does not seek out a musician to represent their brand, unless they have clout like; Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, Vincent Gardner, Russell Gunn, Eldar, Robert Glasper, The Roots, etc - World renown musicians. Typically, a musician should seek out a company that he or she has tested/performed on their instruments and really feels like they could add something to the company by way of exposure through; performing, recording, teaching, as clinician, or giving workshops, etc. On the opposite side of that coin the company should, in theory,... only pick musicians/artist that they can get behind and whose career they could help promote over the long run. 


I really had this dream about 12 years ago while in college at Florida A&M University, were I attained my B.S. in Music. Back then,...I believed that all of the modern day musical greats were backed by a great instrument maker, and that if I were to ever be backed by such a company.... I would by proxy have arrived at GREATNESS! Over time the idea morphed into understanding that endorsement reflected a symbiotic relationship between artist & maker. I really started this process by reaching out to several trumpet companies, but always had my eye on Getzen. I low balled myself... because instead starting w/ the company I really wanted to be associated with... Getzen... I decided it would be better to start with a smaller company... which for me was a huge mistake. I ended taking one year of my life chasing someone around in circles... about just getting a relationship started... in order to start thinking about creating an instrument. The horn I originally had was a Bach Stradivarius #37... BEAUTIFUL!!! She was made in the late 60's and took me completely through all of grad school at Northern Illinois University, M.M. in Jazz Studies, and then well into the beginning of my professional career before I knew she needed a replacement. I started recording... alot and then touring before I finally reignited my search for a fine horn and a company that I could not only throw my complete support behind, but more importantly a company that saw promise in my career... one that they could support also. July 2011... after only a couple of months of talks with company representatives, ... SHE ARRIVED... literally on my doorstep. I was so happy and thus began my adoration & support of the Getzen corporation. I love showing my horns off and telling people about the high quality of the instruments. I've taken my horns on tour with me; all over America, France, the Netherlands, Belgium,  & soon... Germany with the multi- Grammy award winning reggae artist Burning Spear & his Young Lion Band. "Every time I've used these horns to perform... whether on a huge stage or small intimate one... its been WONDERFUL!!!"


So,... in a nut shell endorsement means to me.. putting your word behind a product that you feel is great all around and would love to represent. It also means leading a quality career of; teaching, performing, recording, writing about, etc.. that is worthy of the support of a great product. I continue to endeavor to live up to the great GETZEN name, and I have and will continue to enjoy everyday of the adventure. Here are some pictures from my recent 2011 Endorsement Photo Shoot...





Jarritt Sheel - Getzen Artist


(Insert Signature Here)





















No comments: