Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2011 Year in Review

MAN oh MAN oh MAN...


What can I say,... I am dumb struck and in awe by the powerful lesson and awe inspiring opportunities that have been afforded me this year. Its amazing how powerful prayer, supplication, and belief in God is. I'm reminded daily of how great God is, and more so of the power of action and how faith is dead without it. 2011 has been a freakin' great year. The old people say better and better... and gooder and gooder LOL. I know that isn't correct but.. there is something to say about down home vernacular. It cuts to the heart of the matter, and doesn't waste time BS'ing around it. 


This year started with hopes and reams , very much like every other year... BUT something was different this year. I was given grace to become a Getzen Artist (I'm endorsed to perform on the Genesis 3003s Bb trumpet and 3895 Flugelhorn) and I got an additional job as jazz staff at Edgewater High School, working with Bruce Green and his fabulous kids. So, now I'm blessed to be working with young people at Valencia College(Music History  -Associate Adjunct Faculty) University of Central Florida (African American Studies - Adjunct Faculty) Ocoee High School & Edgewater High School as associate faculty. I feel blessed to still be performing and teaching all at the same time. I'm blessed to still be a member of the two time Grammy award winning Winston Rodney aka Burning Spear's Young Lion Band (Nine Fest Mar 3, 2012 & SummerJam Jul 2012), and performing with groups like Lane & Company, young artist like KG Omulo. I still have my own group called the BLU-TET where we perform great live music (jazz, hip-hop, blues, soul, rock).


I have healthy relationships with family and friends, and love sharing time with my gorgeous wife Antonia. She is really the most awesome person I know and I'm glad to have her as a fellow adventurer in this thing we all call life. God has truly blessed me with a good thing and she is truly the central focus of this operation. I build everything I have around my family. I look at music and my profession as a teacher to help better society my community and create income to provide for my growing family. I never look at art as more important than my family. God comes first, then family, and then Music & Art. 


I know that I burn the candle at five or six different ends... yes... I know there are only two ends... LOL. I figure ... as my pastor says... when I leave this earth I want to be greeted by God ... saying "...Well done good and faithful servant. You did much with the talent and energy I provided you with.."  So, I'm working all this to become a better me and helping other people become a better them. 2012 will also become a huge first for me. 


I'm hoping to get accepted in a doctorate program up in NYC. Hopefully it will happen and I will soon be on my way to becoming Dr. Sheel and join company with my wife Antonia who will be the first in my families... the Sheel name to carry that moniker. I'm excited... I'm the first American born Somli in my dad's side of my family with a advance degree in music and I am definitely taking a different path in life most ...if not all of my family. I'M NOT AFRAID! (declares the crazy guy). I'm ready for the roller coaster and the bumpy ride associated with advancement and progress... because real progress never ever comes with out something you must face. I'm ready for it. I've come too far down the line to turn around now. 


I'm looking forward to recording this semester and putting together my own EP. So please be on the look out!! All of these amazing things happening in the world have made me see the world for what it truly is... what ever you make it. In turn that really means that 2012 is going to be Oprah final show bananas! I'm excited and so should you be!

No comments: