Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Chris Botti

Chris Botti, is a good trumpet player and musician. I just saw this PBS special he did this year and let me tell you that the hype is real. Now, ...there....always seems to be a but or now after making comments about this guy. I feel he is bona fide...a real champ. The explanations that people have been making for the apparent popularity of this musician are ridiculous to say the least.

This is a real musician that connects with his audience like no one else right now. It doesn't hurt that he is a good looking white guy or that he teams up with stellar pop musicians and artist. I can't deny the authenticity of the duet betweeen Chris and Jill Scott during "Good Morning .." There had to be chemistry going between them and that is not a commonplace thing these days. He seems to have his head on straight and knows what he wants from the music.

So, why are people giving him such shit. Well, ....jealousy for the most part. When a musician finds the spot light and nails a cue like this guy has, people notice. When people ,...large numbers of a huge audience(sells) notice, then the spotlight time disappears for others. I agree that some of his music I don't like, but I also don't like all of Sonny Rollins tunes or even Wynton's albums...there are some tune selections that I think they could have left out. Or maybe they could be more entertaining for the masses. Even the great artist ; painters, singers, musicians, writers throughout the ages putt in a little dash of entertainment here and there. OUR goal, well as I see it, is to entertain and educate the masses. It can't just be done through rhythm changes and the blues. I don't always listen to music like that. I have to pull things from all music and I think this guy has figured some, if not all of the urgency of using the spotlight for good. Everytime I see him in front of a camera I hear him pubbing school music, music education, or playing music. Above all playing his horn very well!

Chris Botti, is a real musician. This can not be denied and he may one day be likened to other famous musicians, but he like I is trying to find his own place in the sunn. Peace!

No comments: