Thursday, April 26, 2007

A wonderful year

I was just sitting here in the computer lab in the Music Building at the school of Music at Northern Illinois University. Almost a year ago I was in Fort Lauderdale, FL working like 3 jobs to support myself and countless others just to keep from going insane....Music! Here I am finishing a pretty prosperous first year in grad school.

I look back at this first year as a trial of my strength.....mentally and physically. I have met so many people in the last 5 months than I think ever in my musical life thus far. Nick Payton, Roy Hargrove, Antonio Hart, John Clayton, Montez Coleman, Marcus Strickland, Ira Sullivan, Wynton Marsalis, Ted Nash, Chris Potter, Brian Blade, Terell Stafford, Matt Wilson, Tim Warfield, Jiggs Wigham, David Sanchez, Corey Wilkes, Maurice Brown, and all the wonderful and very talented musicians that live in the Chicago area. I am also I got tyo play with such a great band in the NIU Jazz Ensemble under the driection of Ron Carter. It was hard and awe inspiring all at the same time. Thank God for all these magnificient musicians and entertainers. Thanks again...Vince Gardner, Diron Holloway for your support in my making this choice to further my education here at NIU. Thanks to my family too...for being there and loving the hell outta me. Love you guys!

I have grown soo much...in these past few months. This is something that I hope everyone can hear in my playing and also in my speech and demeanor. Life is great .... it is hard because it is soo easy...you dig? You are offered all these different opportunities, and choices to the point that you can get all screwed up. The choice is what makes it hard for soo many people. That ...i think ...is were in lines the challenge itself. I accept it and relish the fact that everyday you get something new .....in front of you.

I look forward to a great summer here in Chicago, Dekalb, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and New York. I can't wait to see my family in a couple of weeks and the OCEAN......Yes!!! So...keep tuned in for the next set of adventures from your boy Jarritt A. Sheel. You know that summer is full of surprises... ONE!

No comments: